Dulverton Kiwi K100
In 2015 we used Dulverton Kiwi K100 as a yearling to mop-up the AI. We selected him because he was sired by the best ever Calving Ease bull we have used in Cluden Newry Equator F10. Great job Peter, Jennifer and Jock, that ‘ole Dick was able to pass on a few useful hints after all, eh?
The exciting Performance Parameter re Kiwi K100 is that 8 of his bull calves who were born in an 18 day period from 9/8/16 – 27/8/16 have all made the sale and are offered in a block from Lot 73 through to Lot 82.
We suggest these K100 sons to be ideal heifer bull prospects, check the table and
- K100 Top 10% Calving Ease Direct, trait leader for Gestation Length, Top 20% for Birth Weight. Most importantly we did not assist one of K100’s calves. It was this fact that prompted us to twist Ian Bailey and Steve Wilkinson’s arms thankfully they allowed us to collect the bull at Greylands. We used him over our heifers as our Heifer AI sire the following year for no assists. He has proven to be almost Bomb Proof. Paul Redden used him to A.I. heifers with 3 from 76 assists.
- Calving Ease Direct of K100’s 8 sons – Note the EBV range from -5.1 to -8.7. NB calves born 8 days early will be about 6kg lighter than if they go to term. That is, a potential 40kg birth weight calf becomes a 32kg calf – very safe calving ease range.
- Birth Weight of K100’s 8 sons – Note the EBV range from +3.8 to +5.3 right on target for us, high 3’s to mid 5’s, remembering we are attempting to produce growth rates from the progeny of these bulls that fulfil Feeder Steer etc expectations. For instance, it is difficult for bulls like M146 to be in the Top 10% for growth without exhibiting breed average Birth Weight. Note that the 8 sons are all above average for Growth.
- Fertility. Live calves born, still the major profit driver for the commercial beef operator. Fertility is therefore a major trait with Calving Ease for any potential heifer bull. The Scrotal and Days to Calving EBVs support super fertility. So too the fact these 8 bulls were born in 18 days, less than the length of one ‘cycle’.
- We have been consciously selecting for the three ‘Value Determining’ traits RBY, Eating Quality (by inference marbling and again by inference IMF%) and NFI-F for many years, it is encouraging to see this set of ‘heifer bulls’ can also adequately satisfy these traits with a degree of superiority.
- Its been a long time Principle of ours that bulls born unassisted from maiden heifers have a stand-up start in producing ‘Safe’ heifer bulls. This set of 8 Kiwi K100 sons certainly satisfy that parameter, they are born in under one ’cycle’ and their data supports the fact that they should produce a very high percentage of assist free progeny.